Report Pesticide Drift

If you suspect pesticide drift, it is VERY important to report the incident to the Illinois Department of Agriculture.  

Every pesticide incident that goes unreported is an incident that never happened in the official statistics for the State of Illinois.

We at SDEN understand the difficulty in filing an official complaint but taking action is the only way to stop pesticide drift from happening in the future.  


To file a complaint: 

Fill out the Pesticide Incident Complaint Form provided by the Illinois Department of Agriculture (IDOA). Forms can be mailed to you by contacting IDOA at 1-800-641-3934.

Make a copy of the form and mail it to: 

Illinois Department of Agriculture 
Bureau of Environmental Programs 
State Fairgrounds
P O Box 19281 
Springfield, IL 62794-9281 

Or fax the form to (217)524-4882

Complaints must be received by IDOA within 30 days of the incident or within 30 days of when the damage was first noticed.

Keep detailed notes of every conversation, phone calls and correspondence concerning your pesticide drift incident.

Include every detail about the incident on the complaint form.  This is the official record of the incident so you want everything included.


What You Should Expect

1. Within a week, an IDOA inspector will contact you and make an appointment to visit the location of the drift incident.


2. Upon arrival, the inspector will ask you to recount the drift incident including dates, wind speed, etc.

The inspector will leave you a signed copy of a Notice of Inspection.

IMPORTANT:  Insist inspector take samples of foliage, soil, clothing - anything you think has pesticide residue.  The inspector will not aggressively ask for this information and will leave without it if you don't take action. 

You must be proactive to make sure the inspector leaves with ALL evidence because he/she is not coming back.  This is your only chance.


3. Wait for IDOA to complete the investigation. (This can take weeks or months.)


4. IDOA will send you a letter notifying you of their findings – i.e., there was, or was not, pesticide drift on your property.


5. IMPORTANT*- Request a copy of the complaint investigation file by sending a written request addressed to the: Freedom of Information Office Illinois Department of Agriculture State Fairgrounds, P. O. Box 19281 Springfield, IL 62794-9281

*IDOA destroys case files after an undisclosed amount of time. Request a copy of the completed investigation no than 4 weeks after receiving your notification letter.